If you just listened to my new podcast then this would be a perfect thing for you to read right now. If you haven’t yet, here’s the link — you’re welcome!
Some of you may or may not know what a brain dump is. To those who don’t, it’s basically transferring information from your brain to someone or something else. Most popularly, to a piece of paper. You can also write (or rather type) in the notes section of your gadgets or wherever you’re comfortable doing it. Doing this can free your mind and organize your thoughts so you can really focus and get things done!
So how does one start a brain dump and make the best out of it? Here are some simple steps:
- Like I mentioned in the podcast, I do this when on vacation but I’ve done it during meetings as well when something important comes to mind that I need to take note of. So start when you feel like it — it could be when you’re alone in your room, while you’re having your nails done, or while drinking some wine. It’s all up to you.
- Get a piece of paper (or gadget, laptop)
- Just start writing down the things you’re thinking of — write down your goals, the things you needto do later, people you want to get in touch with again, your grocery, things you need to work on, things you need to stop doing, places you want to visit, books you need to read, and the list goes on. Whatever it is, just write it down.
- Categorize it — since this is a brain dump, chances are you will write down things from the different areas of your life. It could be personal, career related, or even about your finances. You could even categorize them by periods. Which of them do you need to work on later? this week? or within the month or year? Categorizing will help you address things in a timely manner and in an organized way.
- Create a priority list or a to-do list — doing this is a way to implement what you’ve written and take action. You can spend a week in each category, or a day, a month, whichever will work for you and your schedule. The only important thing is that you’re doing it.
I hope these simple steps will help you do this successfully and know that it’s going to get you to a really good place for you to take more opportunities. The more organized you are, the more opportunities that will come your way.
I strongly believe in this because there has been a time where my mind and my thoughts were not organized. The moment I changed my reference about being organized, a ton of things appeared in my life and started for the better.
Until next time!